Vodka Sauce Penne
You’ll never buy a jar of vodka sauce again! This simple recipe is always a crowd pleaser and pairs perfectly with your favorite glass of red wine. Ok we know what you’re thinking, it sounds so extra to make your own vodka sauce but trust us it is TOTALLY worth it!
Fun Story: We were roomies in Chicago for a few years post college and our now husbands (Malhar & Neil) were our unofficial roomies. There came a time when the pals had to part ways when Malhar decided to move to San Diego (don’t worry we’re all still besties). Naturally we had to throw a going away dinner party and the guest of honor requested this vodka sauce pasta as his last meal in Chicago!
It’s now our go to recipe for date nights, entertaining or just when we need a comforting bowl of carbs.
Easy Button: You can double the sauce and freeze half for later
Pairs With: Crusty garlic bread, a simple fresh salad and red wine or a refreshing Coke
Serving Size: Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 shallots diced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup vodka (I used Titos)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Melt butter on medium low, once the butter is melted add in shallots and garlic and continue to cook on medium low for 15 minutes stirring occasionally until they are translucent
- Pour in vodka and let it simmer for 3 minutes – the alcohol will burn off and leave a great spicy flavor
- Add salt, red pepper flakes and tomato paste, mix well and then cook for another 2 minutes
- Stir in heavy cream and bring to a light simmer
- Mix in basil and parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Serve hot with pasta!