Spaghetti & Meatballs
We love express meals that are packed with flavor! This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and works great for a weeknight meal. If you ditch the pasta, the meatballs can work as an appetizer – just serve with toasted baguette slices and you have a quick and hearty starter!
Healthy Options: You can replace the beef with turkey or use beef that is lower in fat. Also, instead of pasta you can serve these meatballs on top of spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles – this is what we do for healthy lunch prep.
Pairs With: This recipe is great with garlic bread and a light refreshing salad.
Serving Size: Makes 2 dinners or 4 small lunch portions (8 meatballs total)
- 1/2 lb ground beef (we used 85/15)
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 24 oz marinara sauce (we love Rao’s)
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, garlic, parsley, ricotta, pecorino cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper – being careful not to over work the meat. Form the mixture into 8 meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick pan over medium high heat. Once hot, sear meatballs for 12 mins, about 3 minutes on each side until browned. If it sticks a bit that’s ok – the little bits scraped into the sauce will be amazing later.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add in marinara sauce. If you like spice, add in crushed red pepper while the sauce comes to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs are cooked through – to at least 160 F or until they are not pink in the center.
- Cook your pasta per package instructions.
- Plate your pasta and top it with marinara sauce and meatballs – sprinkle with extra grated pecorino cheese and parsley if desired.