Rose & Pistachio Ice cream
Many consider rose an exotic flavor but growing up in an Indian household it was pretty standard. In fact, our mom used to put a big bowl on top of a bush outdoors to collect fresh snow as it was falling (we know, not sanitary but this was the 90s), pack it into “snowballs” and use this same rose syrup to flavor it as a treat. It was essentially a rose snow cone! We also remember looking forward to the days our mom would allow us to pour some rose syrup in our milk – a nice cold glass of rose flavored milk.
This ice cream brings us back to those childhood memories, enjoying a nice cold rose flavored treat! For us ice cream isn’t just for the summer but something we love all year around.
For those that haven’t made homemade ice cream before, you’ve been missing out! Homemade ice cream is lighter and fluffier in texture and melts the minute it hits your mouth. The rose syrup adds sweetness and a floral aroma while the pistachio adds a rich nutty flavor and a nice crunch to the mix. The best part, this requires only 6 ingredients and is sure to be a hit!
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp rose syrup
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- Whisk together whole milk, salt and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the sugar is dissolved whisk heavy whipping cream and rose syrup to the mixture and refrigerate it for at a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Churn the chilled mixture per your ice cream maker instructions
- Once the mixture turns into ice cream, mix in the crushed pistachios for the last 5 minutes of the churning cycle
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe bowl with an air tight lid and freeze for a minimum of 4hrs before serving
This is the ice cream maker we use, but you can use anything you prefer!