Orzo Chickpea Salad
I have been in search of a simple and healthy salad to pair with grilled protein, and THIS IS IT. If you question how great this orzo salad is, just note that I’ve already made this twice in two weeks! The fresh veggies and zesty lemon vinaigrette make this salad feel light and refreshing while the chickpeas and orzo add subsistence.
Pairs With: Grilled meats like greek chicken, gyros or shawarma or with falafel or even on it’s own.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings (if using as a side)
- 8 oz orzo
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- jest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon juiced)
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- sea salt (to taste, we used 3/4 tsp )
- pepper (to taste, we used 1/2 tsp)
- 1 seedless cucumber chopped (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 15.5 oz canned chickpeas drained
- 8 oz feta cheese (I like to use a seasoned herb blend, plain is great too)
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 oz olives (optional)
- To make the dressing, whisk together garlic cloves, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon jest, lemon juice, red chili flakes, sea salt, and pepper – set aside
- Prepare the orzo according to the package, once cooked, drain and run under cold water to bring the pasta to room temperature
- Move the orzo into a large bowl and top with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, feta cheese, red onions, parsley, olives and dressing. Mix well and enjoy!